IFRAME SYNC
IFRAME SYNC
IFRAME SYNC
IFRAME SYNC

Is it acceptable to have a fraction in an eigenvector?

The professor teaching a class I am taking wants me to find the eigenvalues and the eigenvectors for the following matrix below.

$$\begin{bmatrix}-5 & 5\\4 & 3\end{bmatrix}$$

I have succeeded in getting the eigenvalues, which are $\lambda= \{ 5,-7 \}$. When finding the eigenvector for $\lambda= 5$, I get $\begin{bmatrix}1/2\\1 \end{bmatrix}$. However, the correct answer is $\begin{bmatrix}1\\2 \end{bmatrix}$ .

I have tried doing this question using multiple online matrix calculators. One of which gives me $\begin{bmatrix}1/2\\1 \end{bmatrix}$, and the other gives me $\begin{bmatrix}1\\2 \end{bmatrix}$.

The online calculator that gave me $\begin{bmatrix}1\\2 \end{bmatrix}$ explains, that y=2, hence $\begin{bmatrix}1/2*2\\1=>2 \end{bmatrix}$ =>$\begin{bmatrix}1\\2 \end{bmatrix}$.

What I do not understand is, why is y must equal to 2?Is it because there cannot be a fraction in an eigenvector?



from Hot Weekly Questions - Mathematics Stack Exchange

Post a Comment

[blogger]

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

copyrighted to mathematicianadda.com. Powered by Blogger.
Javascript DisablePlease Enable Javascript To See All Widget

Blog Archive