IFRAME SYNC
IFRAME SYNC
IFRAME SYNC
IFRAME SYNC

Does anyone else find abstract algebra boring? What am I missing?

Hey, so I'm a third semester mathematics student and recently I took a first course in abstract algebra, topic being group theory (as I suppose every introductory abstract algebra course is about). The thing is, I did not enjoy absolutely any of the things we saw in class. I did not find any theorem slightly interesting and to be honest, for me the class was straight up boring. Every single class I was falling asleep.

I know because I have read it in many places and my professors have told me, that abstract algebra has a central role in today's mathematics, and so that's why I decided to go on with the second course (because in my university it's not mandatory), which deals with basic notions of ring/field theory (as far as I'm concerned). However, I am simply not able to find interest in the class and I think that will eventually lead me to not having a good learning of the topics in it.

So now I ask: is abstract algebra inherently boring for any of you? Or am I missing something?

Maybe I'm yet to see its applications in other branches of mathematics and that explains my lack of interest.

Also, I hated my elementary number theory class (which was just the definitions of integer numbers, divisibility, congruences and main theorems of this, etc.) and I couldn't stop myself from thinking that basic group theory with an emphasis on finite groups (as is taught in my school) only used these tools in order to prove theorems. That's something that I hated, because I didn't feel as if there were any deep or cool or interesting results given by our definitions and whose proofs indicated some important fact worth understanding/noticing, but rather I felt as if every theorem just depended on whether you knew the correct results on divisibility and congruences in order to prove them.

So yeah, I'd like to know from you people who are more into algebra, what's so good about it? Why is it such a bad idea to simply ignore it?

Thanks to everyone :)

submitted by /u/Bryan_Castro
[link] [comments]

from math https://ift.tt/2SeDg0A https://ift.tt/eA8V8J
Labels:

Post a Comment

[blogger]

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

copyrighted to mathematicianadda.com. Powered by Blogger.
Javascript DisablePlease Enable Javascript To See All Widget

Blog Archive