IFRAME SYNC
IFRAME SYNC
IFRAME SYNC
IFRAME SYNC

Calculus, Water Poured into a Cone: Why is Derivative Non-linear?

If water is poured into a cone at a constant rate and if $\frac {dh}{dt}$ is the rate of change of the depth of the water, I understand that $\frac {dh}{dt}$ is decreasing. However, I don't understand why $\frac {dh}{dt}$ is non-linear. Why can't it be linear?

EDIT: I am NOT asking whether or not the height function is linear. Many are telling me that the derivative of height is not a constant so thus the height function is not linear but this is not what I am asking. This is my mistake because I had used $h(x)$ originally to denote the derivative of height which is what my book used. Rather I am asking if $\frac {dh}{dt}$ is linear or not and why. What would be nice if someone could better explain what my book is telling me: "At every instant the portion of the cone containing water is similar to the entire cone; the volume is proportional to the cube of the depth of the water. The rate of change of depth (the derivative) is therefore not linear."



from Hot Weekly Questions - Mathematics Stack Exchange

Post a Comment

[blogger]

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

copyrighted to mathematicianadda.com. Powered by Blogger.
Javascript DisablePlease Enable Javascript To See All Widget

Blog Archive