IFRAME SYNC
IFRAME SYNC
IFRAME SYNC
IFRAME SYNC

Peano's successor function [duplicate]

I have been trying to get my head round ZF set theory and Peano's axioms, but I have hit some confusion over Peano's definition of the successor function, or more accurately von Neumann's model.

Why did von Neumann use $S(x) := x \bigcup \{x\} $ and not just plain old $S(x) := \{x\} $? The latter seems a lot more simple and easy to work with, so am I missing some major advantage of the former, or is my function incompatible in some way?

Edit: is the only advantage just that the cardinality of the set is equal to the value it represents?



from Hot Weekly Questions - Mathematics Stack Exchange

Post a Comment

[blogger]

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

copyrighted to mathematicianadda.com. Powered by Blogger.
Javascript DisablePlease Enable Javascript To See All Widget

Blog Archive