IFRAME SYNC
IFRAME SYNC
IFRAME SYNC
IFRAME SYNC

Starting a Math Team at my School. Advice?

I'm (17) at a pretty big (all male) school in Australia (1300ish students from ages 12 to 18). I'm trying to start a club for practising competition mathematics, because it's something I wish I had done but is not really part of the culture of many schools here in Australia.

Some students partake in the Australian Mathematics Competition (same format as AMC) every year but there is no real aspiration for success and certainly, it has never crossed most of their minds to try practicing.

I envision meeting with a group of kids aged 12 to 16 once a week for about 40 minutes and allowing them to attempt problems together (probably all working together on big whiteboards) that I have selected according to their ability with some guidance which I (and perhaps some other students who are quite gifted the same age as me) can provide.

I think it's a really good social ability and it would be nice if we could cultivate that kind of mathematics through problem-solving. Especially since the Australian curriculum tends not to extend the top 20% of students until grades 11 and 12 (17 and 18 year olds).

I'd love some advice on what format something like this should take, perhaps how it is done in your school or what kind of teaching is most valuable.

:)

submitted by /u/PolymorphismPrince
[link] [comments]

from math https://ift.tt/3gFp7U6 https://ift.tt/eA8V8J
Labels:

Post a Comment

[blogger]

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

copyrighted to mathematicianadda.com. Powered by Blogger.
Javascript DisablePlease Enable Javascript To See All Widget

Blog Archive