IFRAME SYNC
IFRAME SYNC
IFRAME SYNC
IFRAME SYNC

How Do You Call The Probability That An Outcome Is By Chance

I can't find an answer to my question because I don't know what to search for, i.e. the terminology.

To explain the word I'm looking for, let me start with an example. Say we know that the probability for having heads up after a coin flip is 50%. Now say I have a theory that if you flip the coin a certain way, it increases your chance of having the coin land with heads up. I try the theory 100 times (flipping the coin), and have heads up 60% of the time. Now I want to have a metric that meaningfully represents how likely it is that my technique actually increased the the heads-probability, vs. it just being chance.

What do you call this metric?

I'm naturally interested in the maths behind this question, but am rather asking for the terminology only to avoid duplicate questions. Optionally, if this is a "new" question, feel free to also include the maths.



from Hot Weekly Questions - Mathematics Stack Exchange

Post a Comment

[blogger]

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

copyrighted to mathematicianadda.com. Powered by Blogger.
Javascript DisablePlease Enable Javascript To See All Widget

Blog Archive