IFRAME SYNC
IFRAME SYNC
IFRAME SYNC
IFRAME SYNC

Which mathematicians inspire you? Who are the influential mathematicians in your field, past or present? Help me humanize math for middle schoolers!

I’m a middle school math teacher, and I’d really like to humanize math for my kiddos. Many of them don’t see themselves succeeding in math, which greatly impacts their ability to learn.

I want my students to see that math is ongoing and for them to see people who look them doing mathematics. One piece of that will be having a mathematician of the moment posted in the room. It’ll include a picture, a short bio, a quote, fun facts, why they are/were influential, etc.

Of course I would include people like Newton and Euler, but I would also like to use modern mathematicians, women in math, and mathematicians of color. For example, I’ve got Katherine Johnson, Maryam Mirzakhani, Ramanujan, and Andrew Wiles. I don’t mind doing the research on them, but I know that I’d be missing some key names!

Who do you look up to in mathematics and why? Who is/was influential in your field?

submitted by /u/abstractquatsch
[link] [comments]

from math http://bit.ly/2VAXfde
Labels:

Post a Comment

[blogger]

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

copyrighted to mathematicianadda.com. Powered by Blogger.
Javascript DisablePlease Enable Javascript To See All Widget

Blog Archive