IFRAME SYNC
IFRAME SYNC
IFRAME SYNC
IFRAME SYNC

"Let" in math texts https://ift.tt/eA8V8J

I'm trying to do the following exercise for my Real Analysis class:

Let $p$ be a given natural number. Give an example of a sequence $\left(x_{n}\right)$ that is not a Cauchy sequence, but that satisfies $\lim \left|x_{n+p}-x_{n}\right|=0$

However, I am in constant doubt in regard to the "let" word in math texts. Can I choose, say $p = 1$, or when one says "let" I am supposed to stick with $p \in \mathbb{N}$ and nothing more? What kind of "control" do I have over $p$?

For instance, when one says "Given $\epsilon \gt 0$", I usually see things like: Let $\epsilon = \frac{\epsilon}{2}$ so one can finish a certain argument.

Can someone help me? I need to solve this doubt once and for all, it bothers me very often.



from Hot Weekly Questions - Mathematics Stack Exchange
Lucas

Post a Comment

[blogger]

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

copyrighted to mathematicianadda.com. Powered by Blogger.
Javascript DisablePlease Enable Javascript To See All Widget

Blog Archive