IFRAME SYNC
IFRAME SYNC
IFRAME SYNC
IFRAME SYNC

Feeling discouraged about finding my first job. Any advice?

I got my B.S in Mathematics back in May with the original intention of getting into actuarial sciences, but I fell out of love for that field because I found the self-teaching required for the exams to be too stressful, and I was not disciplined enough to go that route. Unfortunately, I came to this epiphany late into my undergrad, so I didn’t have much of a backup plan, but I still loved math (still do) and I did not have any money remaining in scholarships, so I finished out the semester and moved out to NYC to live with my brother.

I’ve been applying to all sorts of math related jobs since then, with a heavy preference towards analyst and trading roles, but I’ve opened up my horizons to teaching and tutoring roles even though I always insisted I would not teach. Its been 6 months and I’ve only had two serious interviews, but only one if you don’t count a second phone assessment as a “serious” interview. I’ve also had two other interviews for office clerk positions, but those fell though, even though I thought they went great. At this point, I still don’t have a full-time job, only a part-time seasonal job at a department store that ends in December. And I can only sustain myself on my savings for the next three or four months (maybe).

With that said, I am getting really depressed about my financial state. If I run out of money, the only option I can think of is maybe joining the army? I’ve read that they have non-combat roles suited toward people with a mathematics background, but the thought of leaving my online friends worries me, not to mention I would be leaving my brother here alone in the middle of our lease. Working a clerical job as an entry level position would suit me well, but I’m not getting any luck scoring interviews for those either. Are there any other job titles that are good entry level positions for someone like myself? Is there anything I can be doing now to support myself aside from continuing to apply to jobs?

Posting this to r/math because I feel like you guys will probably have more relevant knowledge for someone with a background like my own, but if you think I should throw this over to some other subreddits for advice I can do that.

submitted by /u/shenmoola
[link] [comments]

from math https://ift.tt/2Is1d33 https://ift.tt/eA8V8J
Labels:

Post a Comment

[blogger]

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

copyrighted to mathematicianadda.com. Powered by Blogger.
Javascript DisablePlease Enable Javascript To See All Widget

Blog Archive