IFRAME SYNC
IFRAME SYNC
IFRAME SYNC
IFRAME SYNC

How to compute $\int_{0}^{+\infty}\frac{x^2\mathrm{d}x}{e^{x}-1}$ analytically? https://ift.tt/eA8V8J

Does anyone know how to compute analytically the following integral:

$$\int\limits_{0}^{+\infty}\dfrac{x^2\mathrm{d}x}{e^{x}-1}$$

It should be equal to $2\zeta(3)$ according to Maple. I tried the following using the binomial theorem for negative integer exponents:

$$I = \int\limits^{+\infty}_{0} e^{-x}(1-e^{-x})^{-1}x^2\mathrm{d}x = \int\limits^{+\infty}_{0}\left[\sum_{k=0}^{+\infty}(-1)^k(-1)^ke^{-(k+1)x}\right]x^2\mathrm{d}x=\int\limits^{+\infty}_{0}\left[\sum_{k=0}^{+\infty}(-1)^{2k}e^{-(k+1)x}\right]x^2\mathrm{d}x$$

After another change of variables, $y=(k+1)x$:

$$I = \sum_{k=0}^{+\infty}(-1)^{2k} \frac{1}{(k+1)^3}\int\limits_0^{+\infty} y^2e^{-y}\mathrm{d}y$$

The keen eye might recognize $\int\limits_0^{+\infty} y^2e^{-y}\mathrm{d}y$ as the gamma function, $\Gamma(3)=(3-1)!=2$. This, together with a slight nudge to the bottom limit of the summation we can rewrite things as:

$$I = \Gamma(3)\sum_{k=1}^{+\infty} \dfrac{(-1)^{2k}}{k^3}$$

And i see immediately (since the beginning in fact...) an infinite sum that makes me troubles and i can't get rid of. I tried to found if i did any trivial error but i'm focusing since to many hours to found it. That's why I need an external view to point me out my obvious error.

Thanks in advance for your help



from Hot Weekly Questions - Mathematics Stack Exchange
Vincent ISOZ

Post a Comment

[blogger]

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

copyrighted to mathematicianadda.com. Powered by Blogger.
Javascript DisablePlease Enable Javascript To See All Widget

Blog Archive